We have a system that sort of works, hubby does the setting of seed in the cups and watering. I am limited to moving them around only. The reason being I tend to over love any plants in the house. Pa had a nursery farm and my life experience was helping him in the garden or nursery where you can dump a 5 gal bucket of water on a plant and it's cool with it. Plants in the house don't appreciate over love. So my job is to turn the seedlings ever so often. Until they are ready to go into the garden where I can't kill them so easily. But stand back because I am a powerful good weeder.
So in that tradition of wanting tons of variety, every year I add more to the list so now we have seed cups taking up half the kitchen table. They have to be moved to have dinner. The sad thing is I own a greenhouse. Last fall though I came upon a deal. A greenhouse for $50 that we just had to take down. It's a smallish greenhouse maybe 8 ft by 10 ft and made of plexiglass and aluminum. This appealed to me for 2 reasons. It was cheap and I was broke. We had just looked at a similar model for about $800 so this was a deal! I emailed the seller and asked how hard it was to take apart he said "It just slides apart"... for future reference in Craigslist language, this means you need hammer, screwdriver, bolt cutters, a cutting torch, and possibly an old priest and a young priest. We took a small toolbox...
The shadecloth was screwed down with these metal plates and long screws which of course were stripped and rusted. Just getting the cloth off took hours and about 5 mins in I noticed the first stinging burning welt. Misquitos or something bitey were taking their pound of flesh. I ran to the truck grabbed the bug spray and covered us both in a nice coating of toxins. The biting intensified. Apparently they like their meat soaked in Deet.
We hacked and pulled and as the sky darkened we finally made it to the actual greenhouse. It did NOT in fact slide apart. It was bolted together with a bazillion itty bolts and for good measure a healthy dose of silicone was added to every join. Oh and the whole thing was nailed and siliconed to a base in and there was no way to reach the nail heads.
As the sun went down we were cutting pieces free from the silicone when we discovered the slugs. Now let me say I am not a squeamish woman, I can handle snakes, salamanders, mice, bring me your pests I have likely caught them and released them. But slugs and spiders no... just no. I'm sorry I know it's wrong but I just am not having it. These things were easily as long as my hand and they were prolific. It's like these people were growing mosquito and slug food. I have never wished so hard for a bag of driveway salts in my life!
When we finally got the thing freed and loaded onto the truck hubby was mumbling calculations of the price of labor that I think was starting to near the thousands in his estimate, and my "cheap" greenhouse wasn't looking so cheap. We were both covered in dirt and sweaty. I was covered in angry red welts and residual slug goo. Hubby didn't have many bites, I'm guessing those mosquitoes are attracted to whimsy.
Working in the dark I don't know how many pieces we lost. And we haven't gotten a spot leveled and graveled for it yet. Life happened and it's sat out in the back yard for the winter. The snow is almost melted here and the ground is starting to thaw. I'm just hoping we can get it up before the seedlings start taking over the couch and that the bug eggs that may have been in the frames will have blown off on the drive. Otherwise if they hatch we may have to move!